Advocacy and Campaign
Advocacy is an activity by an individual or group which aims to influence decisions within political, economic, and social systems and institutions. It includes various activities such as public speaking, media campaigns, etc.
A Campaign provides a framework in which the processes of advocacy can be easily developed and enclosed. A campaign can include the activities done by individuals or organization such as Awareness Raising Campaigns, Research, Training, Lobbying, etc.
Raising Awareness can be seen as the first step of Advocacy which intends to make the problems addressed known by the general public. Public Talks, conferences, seminars, street performances, broadcasting of outreach materials, videos, and social media advocacy are some of the ways to implement the campaigns.
‘Lobbying‘ is a form of advocacy with the intention of influencing decisions made by the government by individuals or more usually by lobby groups; it includes all attempts to influence legislators and officials, whether by other legislators, constituents, or organized groups.
All lobbying is advocacy, but not all advocacy is lobbying!
- Advocacy is any plan that attempts to influence policymakers and stakeholders through activities designed to increase public attention.
- Lobbying is one kind of advocacy with the goal of persuading governments and its leaders to take a particular position about a specific piece of legislation.
- Campaigning includes lobbying those in power to make changes and a combination of a number of actions to build public support for change.
Preparation and Implementation Process:
What do you want to change? Who are you trying to influence?
- Identify the problem / the target(s) / key decision makers.
Who can affect decision making? Which other organizations have the same aims?
- Identify & involve allies, organize partnerships and agree on roles.
What is your message? Who will do it?
- Set goals and objectives Strategy/Actions.
What to do? How to do it?
- Identify and mobilize the required resources. Carry out a set of planned activities (Action plan).
Advocacy in all its forms seeks to ensure that people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, are able to:
- Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them
- Defend and safeguard their rights
- Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives
Advocacy is a process of supporting and enabling people to:
- Express their views and concerns
- Access information and services
- Defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
- Explore choices and options
- Is strategic use of mass media and community advocacy to advance social policy initiative
- Refers to various communication means by which messages are conveyed
- Types: print, audiovisual, electronic (ex- blogs)
As the largest youth organizations in the country, AYON uses its network inside the country, to drive changes in practice and policy at local and national levels to advance youth’s rights and issues.
AYON has been involved in various advocacy and campaigns since its establishment.
- Traffic Jam Free Campaign
- Campaign against inequality in Nepal
- Interaction program on Human Dignity, Human Rights & Peace
- Economic Empowerment of Young Women and Gender Equality
- Participation of Youth in Peacebuilding
- Election Awareness Campaigns
- Let Me Breathe Campaign
- One Billion Rising
- Youth for Constitution
- My Rights, My vote